Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Learning by imitation


Well, here's my finished dragon, next to Harry Campbell's original that I tracked down from the WSJ's website. (low res image)

Lesson of the day: I hate scales.

In all seriousness, though, this was a lot of fun to work on. I got to play a lot with the pen tool andget more comfortable with it; in addition, I had to work with finding a solution for the giant mess that was the dragon's scales. I'm still not satisfied with the result, and as I slowly learned what I was doing as I progressed, I feel like I should go back and do the early parts all over again. 

But alas, time constrains me and I have other work to do. The point of the exercise was largely to give a sense of where we are in our level of comfort with Illustrator, and I think I've given it a fair shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment