// 10 October 2013 //
[[starting a new post because the other one is getting unbearably long]]
SOLUTION FOUND:
Talked with my professor about my dissatisfaction with the colouring and background aspects of my portrait. I couldn't find anything that didn't just add to the busy look of the piece, and when the focus is a lot of complex line work, I can't afford to put a lot of detail into the background. She directed me to Charles M. Schulz and Charlie Brown. I haven't read Charlie brown in years and I am absolutely blown away at how beautiful it is. I don't remember this at all! :)
Anyways, Schulz is my new inspiration, along with Jon Foreman's own album covers from his independent work.
I've been wanting a really organic look for this project the entire time, but just haven't been able to figure it out in Illustrator. All I know is clean vector lines. I don't know how to do softer things. I've been directed to a couple of tutorials and will be working through those of the weekend.
So. . . many. . . gradients. . . This whole thing has been quiiiiite the journey. I think I may be done. Peer review later today, so we shall soon find out!
So. . . many. . . gradients. . . This whole thing has been quiiiiite the journey. I think I may be done. Peer review later today, so we shall soon find out!





Nice job - hard edges against a soft background worked well.
ReplyDeleteSee if you can correct the two missing images, maybe another format.